From Flickr FAQ: Contacts:Someone is blocking me. What’s up with that?
Blocking is a simple way to make sure that everyone is comfortable. If you’ve been blocked by somebody, it most likely that your interaction with them is outside their comfort zone.
The most polite way I’ve ever seen for “you are a pain in the ass“
Added to my list of 'things we need'... a version of icheck that requires less configuration to hook into package builds. Ideally one that we can get running automatically on any package build.
Yes, its sci-fi, but avoiding ABI breaks across all libraries would be fantastic.
Well, courier sometimes is. To gt rid of a lot of spam, I disabled the catch-all address for most of my domains, which is a good thing. However,this also took out the rss feed, which is bad. Isn’t there an smtp/imap combination out there that makes it *easy* to do aliases and real mailaccounts defined in mysql and addresses that forward to an application (preferably also configured in mysql)?
Hooking spamassassin and clamav into courier also wasn’t the easiest, so I should just get rid of it and use postfix I guess. I don’t like configuring postfix though.
About two weeks ago I setup a very small, very local Jabber server for my colleague and I to use to communicate. I thought I’d use the resource feature to allow us to chat with each other no matter where we are in the building. I even managed to get gaim running off a USB stick for the Win 32 environment. A few days later, one of the teachers in the school came up to me and told me they had had a meeting and wanted to implement some kind of internal messaging system. I was asked if email could provide a solution, to which I replied, it could but would probably be a little too slow for our needs. I was meaning slow in terms of usability of course, not slow in a technical sense.
I pointed out that maybe an Instant Messenging system would be of more use. It was then I remembered the Jabber server I had previously installed. I took one of our linux servers and installed ejabberd, which was currently working fien on my edgy box. However on a freshly installed edgy box, no joy. It seems there is a problem with the erlang pacakge. I hope this will be solved, but in the meantime, I’m having to run with and old dapper server. Interestingly my dapper->edgy box worked fine. It’s an ssl issue apparently.
The best part is, the staff are loving it. They are using Gaim on their win32 machines, and hopefully a few will be using psi to give them the group functionality. One or two questions have popped up in my mind. I remember when using jabber before, I was able to set resource priority from inside Gaim. I don’t seem to be able to do that now. Also file transfers crash Gaim for jabber, another known issue that I hope will be fixed. I know I could try and fix these problems myself, but the dapper implementation is working well, and I have other things to fill my time at the moment.
I’m mentioning this because a) it’s great that the teachers are using this open source stuff and know that it is open source. b) a year ago, this wouldn’t have happened. c) More and more people are asking me about open source. The staff have grown so much technologically, I’m really proud of them.